Sunday, April 22, 2007

To my beloved son

Dear Harrison,

Happy birthday, my dear little one.

As we celebrate your very first birthday today, I have been reflecting on the first year of your life. The pain of all the happy and sad moments apart is so distant from me in our day-to-day life together, for you are such a joy. But today, as we commemorate one year of your life, I cannot help but remember much of this year, when we did not have each other to hold. I am sorry but I don't know what time you were born, or what your life was like that day. I know that your birth mother loved you very much and she cared for you for your first 2 months, until she took you to the orphanage. It was then, when you were 2 months old, that I first saw your beautiful face. Less than a week after I saw that photo, you were in my arms.

During the months that followed, I watched you grow through photographs and videos. I prayed and waited patiently, and not-so patiently to be reunited with you. My heart ached as I thought of you going into surgery without your mommy in the waiting room. Or when you cut your first teeth without your mommy to comfort you. My heart soared when I read you were gaining weight and when I first saw you giggle. I am so blessed, because you saved so much of yourself for me, learning to sit up unassisted, crawl, and now walk sideways along the couches all since you have been home.

In the almost 3 months that you have been home, you have turned my world upside down with joy. I am truly the happiest I have ever been in my life, and that has everything to do with you.

When you first came home you were a bit unsure of what had happened in your world and so you were a bit unsure of us. You didn't know how to cuddle with us, and you didn't know we wanted to comfort you when you hurt yourself. In fact, other than that amazing laugh, we rarely saw you express any emotion at all. But with a little time and a little work, we have won your heart and you have opened up to us. Now, you can't bear for me to leave the room, you snuggle up to me throughout the day and I have even caught you fake crying, just for extra snuggles. I am happy to oblige! And when Daddy gets home from work, well, you have never seen a baby crawl so fast. Daddy usually ends up rolling on the floor, still in his suit and tie, because he just can't resist you tugging at his leg.

For the most part, you are a very easy going baby, but when you get something in your head you are incredibly determined. You are a terrific blend of laid-back and spunky, and each day your daddy and I see how God chose the perfect child for us. And your laugh! I can't say enough about it. You laugh with every inch of your body, with every ounce of your soul. You kick your legs, wiggle your toes, shake your fists, squeeze your little eyes shut and bare those 4 perfect teeth.

Right now, you like to wave hi, give 5, play peek-a-boo, and blow raspberries when we kiss you. Your favorite activity is jumping in your jumperoo to the beat of my clapping. Sometimes you will jump and jump until you put yourself to sleep, still bouncing. Your favorite toy is a spoon. For some reason, spoons of all shapes and sizes provide endless entertainment. Bath time is your favorite. You love the water, and you are fearless. You proved to be a natural swimmer in Mimi and Grandpa's pool.

You are not crazy about eating, but when you must, you love vegetables. Often, we have to hide the meat in your veggies to get some protein in your little body. You do not like sippy cups. You either want your bottle, or you want a regular cup, and you are actually very good with regular cups.

You say "Dada" constantly, and "Mama" once every few days. Daddy plays a little game with you... he says, "Say Mama," and you giggle and say "Dada!" "Say Mama"..."Dada!" You and he do this over and over, both of you cracking up!

You are truly our little dream come true and we thank God for everyday He has given us with you. I pray for you to grow big and strong and smart, and that you learn to trust us more and more. I also pray for us, that the Lord will guide us and give us wisdom and courage as we endeavor to live up to the amazing gift God has given us in you.

I love you my son!

4 comments:

Stacy said...

What a beautiful letter, Charlotte! Oh, how he will treasure that someday! As will you.

~Stacy

Anonymous said...

Oh what a beautiful letter! I got tears in my eyes reading it as I'm sure you got tears writing it!

Anonymous said...

Oh Charlotte! My eyes are filled with tears after reading your post. What a beautiful letter ~ a true treasure for your son someday. Blessings, Amy Crawford

Anonymous said...

UGH!! He will love this! The Lord has truly given you the most perfect little person to love! Chaaaarrrrr~he is so perfect, and Tim is so perfect and you are so perfect! Because God says you are perfect together...man I miss you guys...I miss you my friend!

Renee