Thursday, March 08, 2007

I Can Take A Hint

In an attempt to make bedtime a bit easier for Harry, we have begun a little routine. He gives kisses to Tim and my mom, and then he and I head for the big rocking recliner. We turn the lights dim and cuddle, and then I give him his nighttime bottle. He can never stay awake to the end of the bottle so while he drinks, I pray over him and sing him a hymn. I tried to sing children's songs, but they are generally so short and I want to draw this sweet time out through his bottle. So hymns, with their many verses, seemed to be a good answer. Naturally, I started with my favorite hymn: Come Thou Fount

Come thou fount of every blessing, tune my heart to sing Thy praise
Streams of mercy never ceasing, call for psalms of loudest praise.
Teach me some melodious sonnet, sung by flaming tongues above.
Praise His name. I'm fixed upon it, name of God's redeeming love.

And my favorite verse goes:

Oh, to grace now great a debtor daily I'm constrained to be
Let Thy goodness, like a fetter, bind my wandering heart to Thee
Prone to wander Lord, I feel it. Prone to leave the God I love.
Here's my heart, Lord, take and seal it. Seal it for Thy courts above.

Well if you know me in person, you are probably aware that I am no virtuoso. In fact, I am pretty bad. And in the third line of every verse, the hymn goes up a little higher than I can reach. But I figured, he's a baby, he won't know the difference. Hmmm...

Well, the first time I sang it, my dear 11 month old son was reaching up to my face. I thought: how sweet, he's touching my face. Then I noticed a pattern, every time I got to the third line of a verse, he put his hand over my mouth. Oh, and not just one night, it was night after night.

Sigh... We are now singing "Be Thou My Vision"

3 comments:

Stacy said...

~laughing~
So funny, this... I say, keep on singing!
~Stacy

Anonymous said...

Ok, this really made me laugh out loud!!! Hysterical!!! I love you!
-Jennie

Anonymous said...

Oh, that is so funny. Little Harry has discerning taste, huh? :) Keep singing! ~Amy Crawford