Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Broccoli... it's meant to be

I have long said if I was stuck on a desert island with only one food, I would choose broccoli. I think it is absolutely delicious. I love the way it tastes, the way it feels in your mouth, the way it looks like cute little minature trees.

Anyway, I have made Harrison a million different kinds of baby food, but hadn't tried broccoli yet. I have made all the basics: apples, pears, bananas, peas, greenbeans, carrots, sweet potatoes. I have even gotten a little exotic with mangoes and avocados. But I just think it would have broken my heart if he didn't share my love affair with broccoli. So finally, last night I steamed it and blended it into the tiniest bits of delicious mush and crossed my fingers...

Well, I couldn't have asked for a better reaction. I put the bite into his mouth, and his little eyes widened. He smiled, then giggled, then flapped his arms in the air with delight. Every time I gave him a bite he repeated that sequence: smile, giggle, flap. He's never reacted that way to anything, much less a vegetable. I tried again tonight and I couldn't get it into his mouth fast enough. He loves the stuff.

So I know this may seem a completely unremarkable event, and pure silliness that I would blog about it. But this broccoli has brought tears to my eyes. When you are an adoptive mom, and you have these tiny moments when you click with your child, when you find something that you share, not because of biology, but because he is the one God chose to be yours before the foundation of the world... well, it is a bliss like you have never known before.

I don't see myself when I look deep in his gorgeous eyes, but I have tiny tearful moments when I know he is mine.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

So how did Timmy like those broccoli diapers?;) God's graciousness is amazing isn't it? Its fun being thankful for the little things...or not so little! Love you! Oh, and your dream about our conversations, its my reality! UGH! This week I PROMISE!!!!

Charlotte said...

Yep, Tim came downstairs in a traumatized daze and said,"Did you feed him something florescent green?"

PJ Academy said...

"but because he is the one God chose to be yours before the foundation of the world..."

This gives me great peace this evening!!

Jennifer

I WOULD GATHER CHILDREN said...

That little boy is so precious Charolette! I love the tub picture! And so glad he likes your broccoli-now this surely has to be a little something God had done just for you two cause who else loves broccoli that much! ewww. LOL!
Smiles,
jen

I WOULD GATHER CHILDREN said...

sorry I spelled your name all goofy Charlotte!

Anonymous said...

OOOOOHHHHHH I spelled Char's name like that for YEARS!!! ;) It gives her warm and fuzzy feelings;)hehe

Anonymous said...

Charlotte's Husband was not in a "traumatized daze" from the broccoli diapers per se.

He was more concerned that his son appeared to be pooping neon green, and didn't know why. Not what he was expecting.

Signed,

Charlotte's Husband

P.S. He also had no major complaintes about the food in Guatemala.

P.P.S. She is threatening to delete my comments. Support FREE SPEECH!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Hehe, you two are crazy!!

Anonymous said...

I will support (your) free speech, if you support my high lights!;)

Anonymous said...

hey charchar, I just read the broccoli blog. Missed that one in my hurry to catch up on all that's been going on w/ your new fam.

I totally get what you said!!! I so enjoyed reading that. With Josh & Caleb being "step" kids (whatever), I had no warning about how ridiculously sensetive I would be when they were nothing like me or the Wiley Family (my fam). Josh HATED mex rice and threw the biggest tantrum and argued about it being "too spicy...it's too spicey". It has tomates and chickbroth. What spice???? Well. I was so upset. I LOVE that stuff. What Wiley or Mexican in his/her right mind doesn't instantly worship Mex rice??!??!! Josh was nearly 5 when Ken & I married. SO Caleb, who was 2 1/2 when we married....almost immediately became my mission in Wiley/Heather/Mexican discipleship. When Josh was at all day school and I had Caleb to myself, I indoctrinated him with the love of Mex rice. Then beans. Then chilli. Yes, all mexicans give their kids small doses. For example, my Mom sent me my favorite chips, Sabritones. They have chilli. Surprise!! I convinced Caleb they were the best things on the planet and he loved them! Then I went on and systematically trained him to love all things w/ chilli and lime like all good mexican kids. I got him hooked on mex candies...all w/ chilli. Josh has ever so slowly come around. So now, 7 years later... they are definately my proteges. I'm Mom and they're my kids. xoxoxo Luv H