Friday, February 27, 2009

Our Story

Last February I walked out of a fertility clinic knowing I would not return. They hadn't done anything for me. I hadn't let them get that far. Individually, it was unlikely either Tim or I would be able to conceive. Together, it would take major medical intervention just to give us less than a 10% shot. I knew in my heart in those moments, that were life ever to be placed in my womb, it would be solely by the hand of the Almighty, not the plans of men. To Him only would go the glory. And I knew that He might never choose to do so, and even then to Him would be the glory.

And I put the matter out of my head. I had my closure. I would not strive.

So in early November, I was rearranging furniture and later that night, my back began to ache. Motrin, heating pads, rest, no relief. After a few days I began to wonder what was going on... muscle aches all over. Until one afternoon in the Ikea Cafe, I could not stand up. My body was paralized with pain. I was blessed to have my mom with me, to help me to the car and to corral Harrison. She had recently started working at an OBGyn office and gingerly brought up the topic of ectopic pregnancies.

Are you late?
I am always late.
By how long?
A couple of weeks, I guess.
Have you taken a test?
No, I don't waste my money on those silly things anymore.
Stop the car at Target, I will buy the test.
Yawn.

I came home and took the test. One line meant I was not pregnant. Two lines meant I was. I had one very clear line and one if you look real close you can see a line kind of line. Tim was driving home from work so I called him to tell him that I thought I had a positive pregnancy test. His response: You probably took it wrong, take another one. I tried to put the matter out of my head until he got home. I took another just before bed and the result was worse... one very clear line and one if you look really, really close you can see a line kind of line.

I scheduled a blood test the next day and my mother-in-law took me to the appointment. I took the last of my home tests just before I left. Same result. The results for the blood test would take 24 hours and that was just too long for my dear mother-in-law to wait. We ran to the drug store after my appointment and she bought a three pack of the fancy digital tests that pop up with the word "PREGNANT" if it's positive. As soon as we got in the door, she insisted I take one of the fancy tests. I did and it was instantly positive. Her response: It was supposed to take 3 minutes, maybe it was defective. Take another!

At this point I knew I was pregnant, but Tim, my mother and mother-in-law would not believe anything until they we got the blood test results. The day the results came in I was still in a lot of back pain, so the doctor asked me to come in for a sonogram to rule out the possibility of an ectopic pregnancy. Of course all was well. I watched her tiny heart beating inside me and received a back and white photo of a teeny tiny little bean in my belly to show all those in doubt.

I am now 21 1/2 weeks pregnant. Tim and I were married on July 3, 1999. Three days later, Tim and I decided that contraception was not for us and we would let God decide when we would have children. Exactly 10 years later, on July 6, 2009, our baby is due!

1 comment:

Renee said...

Just for the record...I believed you;)