Wednesday, February 13, 2008

I would gather children

Some would gather money along the path of life, some would gather roses and rest from worldly strife. But I would gather children from among the thorns of sin, I would seek a golden curl and a freckled toothless grin. For money cannot enter in that land of endless day, and roses that are gathered soon will wilt along the way. But Oh the laughing children, as I cross the sunset sea, and the gates swing wide to heaven, I can take them in with me.

~unknown


I have known this poem for so long, but it has really been getting to me lately. I have always thought it was cute, but now it makes me cry.


As I press in to the Lord this Lenten season, my prayer is that the Lord would break my heart with the things that break His. I was expecting something new. But how can I be surprised when He returns my heart to the fatherless. “Lord, I already know the need, my heart is already broken.” But I close my eyes, and again, I am overwhelmed by a sea of little faces.


Oddly, I have never really shared my passion for adoption here. In fact, I really haven’t shared it with most of my friends. Why? I think there are several reasons, but the biggest is that I fear I am so passionate that the message will be lost on the crazy messenger.


Why I am so passionate?


Because there are currently 143 million children in the world without a parent to love them.


Because if only 7% of Christians adopted 1 child, there would be no orphans in the world.


Because adoption is at the very heart of God.


Because I close my eyes, and again, I am overwhelmed by a sea of little faces.

No comments: