Sunday, February 25, 2007

Gotcha Day

Well, since I have been home 3 ½ weeks now, I guess it is time I get back to blogging and give you all the details of my trip. I feel like I am finally starting to get into a rhythm and I am learning to function pretty well on no sleep! =) So I will begin by taking you through our Gotcha Day, January 26.

From the time we found out we had travel approval, life went into overdrive. Making our travel arrangements, packing, buying last minute essentials. I was physically incapable of more than 2-3 hours of sleep per night and naps were impossible. Life was way to exciting! The night before we left I finally got a solid 5 hours, before waking at 3 am to head to the airport.

My mom, Tim and I met up with Tim's mom at our connecting flight in Houston, and the four of us were on our way. The flights were uneventful and we arrived in Guatemala City on time. After our driver Abel, stopped at the hotel so we could check-in, we headed to Hannah's Hope, the orphanage where our baby boy lived. The drive to the orphanage was familiar, and yet surreal. I could hardly believe forever was about to begin.

I leaned over his crib and touched his back. He was so beautiful. I asked if I could wake him, still so unsure in my new role of mother. I lifted his little body and he snuggled into me. It was one of those amazing moments in life that you know you’ll always cherish. Everything around us was gray, I have no idea what was going on or who was there to witness it. I just remember the purity of those moments holding my son, as my husband held me.

We changed him into his new clothes and took turns holding our new son. Looking back, I can tell that he was a little stunned by what was taking place. The new grandmas got in some snuggles while Tim and I were running around getting photos and giving hugs to the babies of my friends on the list serve. We were a bit rushed and didn’t get quite as much time there as we would have liked. I missed a few very important babies.

Back at the hotel, we unpacked and played. It was a sweet time of just getting to know each other. We had a delicioso dinner at a beautiful outdoor restaurant at the hotel, then headed back to the room for a bottle and early bed. We were actually all in bed with the lights out before 9 pm. But the very excited new mama just couldn’t sleep. I kept checking on my little guy, to make sure he was okay, to make sure he was really there. He only woke once that night and fell back to sleep pretty easily.

What an amazing day!

4 comments:

Stacy said...

YAY! I've been waiting for this post! Great picture! :)
Can't wait to hear more about the adjustment home... :)
~Stacy

Anonymous said...

Oh, I loved reading your post! I was totally like that too….woke up about 20 times the first few night just to be sure my boys were really there and were breathing!!

Anonymous said...

Oh Charlotte.. I loved your post! It oozes love for your son, and that peace and contentment of being together again, but this time forever. I look forward to hearing more and seeing more pictures. :)

Amy Crawford

Anonymous said...

I love hearing about your pick-up trip! I can't wait to see more of(and hear more about) your little guy!