Sunday, March 16, 2008

Sweet Cakes


This one’s for all the GuateMama’s out there...

It is hard to find recipes that are specific to Guatemala, but I found this one for Guatemalan Sweet Cakes on Epicurious a few weeks ago. Tim and Harrison were over the moon for them. I thought they were pretty good, but what I really liked was having a special treat from Guatemala for Harry.

One side note, the recipe calls for Farmer Cheese. When I was growing up, we often went to an Amish market and bought something called Farmer Cheese. It was similar to provolone. This is not that cheese. This farmer cheese is similar to cottage cheese or ricotta and can be found in the same section of the market. BUT don’t try to substitute cottage cheese as I did on the first go... yuck!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey,
I was just looking at the same recipe on epi, what do they mean by "rice flour" that is "not asian"? My Whole Foods has white and brown rice flours, and I don't know which one to use...!
Please help!
Thanks :)

Charlotte said...

I found it in the Latin foods section of my market. I think it was made by Goya.