Thursday, January 10, 2008

A significant year

I would have to say that 2007 was probably the most significant year of my life. Some absolutely wonderful things happened and some not so wonderful things happened. In the good and the bad I learned so much this year and I am grateful all of it. My friend Mia made a list like this and I thought it was a great idea, so I am stealing it. Here are 30 things about my life in 2007. The reason I am doing 30 is…

1. I turned 30 this year. And I kinda like it.
2. I brought my beautiful son home from Guatemala and became a mommy.
3. I fell deeper in love with my amazing husband, watching him become a father.
4. I learned that no book can prepare you for motherhood. It is much more wonderful and much more difficult than I ever could have known before experiencing it.
5. I was awed to see what a great father my husband is.
6. My eyes were opened to the suffering in Africa.
7. I decided vegetarianism is not for me and ate lots of meat.
8. I learned what it feels like to be the mom with the kid throwing an absolute fit in the middle of the mall. And that “get control of your kid” is easier said than done.
9. I saw nearly 8 years of heartache wash away in a moment.
10. I learned first hand what I had hoped was true: the bond between a mother and her child has nothing to do with genes.
11. I learned how precious dates with my hubby are. After 8 years of weekly date nights, we savored the 3 wonderful dates we had this year.
12. I learned babies eventually will start walking, even if they wait 17 months, and once they do, you wonder why you were so eager for it to happen.
13. I learned that racism is lurking beneath the surface all over our society.
14. I was overwhelmed by the kindness of a dear friend. Twice this year, she drove 20 hours with four kids to be with me.
15. I discovered the benefits of cloth diapering, and the benefits of giving myself a break from cloth diapering now and again.
16. I learned that “nature” can put up a big fight against “nuture.”
17. I watched my husband stand up for me over and over while others tried to tear me down.
18. I learned that some people just aren’t going to like you and you still need to show them the love of Christ.
19. I taught my child how to receive love.
20. I realized I can’t impart to my child something I do not have. The character I display in day-to-day life will speak much louder than my rules.
21. I learned the value of a good nights sleep.
22. I spent more time praying with my husband.
23. I learned more about the character of God.
24. I thanked God for so many of the times he said “No.” (Hindsight and all that.)
25. I got over myself in a lot of ways.
26. I learned that while playing with Little People isn’t the most fun activity in the world, it means the world to my little person.
27. I stopped teaching Sunday School after about 15 years, and decided my own kids would probably never attend.
28. I broke the rules and discovered sometimes being a rebel is the only way to make a really good thing happen.
29. My mom moved out of our house after 3 years. I miss her!
30. I lost 60 lbs.

4 comments:

Stacy said...

I had all sorts of things to say about your list but I am floored by your last one. YOU LOST **60** lbs?!?!?! AMAZING! Great job, Charlotte? What did you do? (I mean, were you on an official diet or just eating right and exercising more?) Wow. Great job!!!

Loved your list. Really. Very good stuff God has done this past year, huh? :)

I read your comment on my post and wanted to reply to you here. About foster care. Isn't it interesting that I'd heard the very same thing a few years ago and so we decided not to pursue it at the time? A couple in our church who had gone through foster care training said that you couldn't use the rod for *any* children in the home. Another couple we knew thought the same thing, when we asked them for clarification. And that was most definitely a deal-breaker for us, too. But then we heard someone else say differently, so we researched it a bit and ended up pursuing it, and now here we are. Or, here God has us. :)

I wanted to say, too- that my heart has been stirred for Africa, too. Africa was on our list (short list. 3 places) before we began our adoption of Isaias, but I couldn't find any agencies that did adoptions in Africa. But now in the last couple of years they have been opening their doors and so.. next up on our list (Lord willing) is another international adoption, hopefully from Ghana.

I'm eager to see what God has in store for you next, Charlotte! (Though it seems awfully hard to beat this past year, doesn't it???)

Love to you and yours,
~Stacy

Anonymous said...

HI there - just wanted to say this list is so wonderful and amazing. I'm Renae's friend from Hawaii....I linked here from her blog. Even though I don't even know you, I just am so happy for you :-) (does that sound weird?). I pray you have an even better 2008!!

MiaJ said...

Great List!! I agree with you on the walking thing. Bella was 19 months and I thought she would never do it. Then one day she just decided it was time. =) One question that is really none of my bussiness and you don't have to answer but why won't you take Harrison to Sunday School?

fiaschetti said...

i'm w stacy-- i was amazed and then said, "60 pounds??" AND while giving up vegetarianism. you go! i can't seem to get this pesky 20 off. :-(